Wednesday, May 03, 2006

So You All Didn't Read the Rules....

Hi Everyone,

So I guess if I've learned one thing about AP kids, it's that they don't like to follow directions! If you scroll down through your many, many posts, you will find the place where I ask you to respond to any given assignment in the COMMENTS area of a post, not create a whole bunch of new posts that everyone has to wade through to figure out what they are responding to...especially since we have two projects going on here at the same time! So, again:

  • New posts are for new topics only, such as a new chapter of A Room With A View. Everyone has to start a topic at some point.
  • Please respond to posts IN THE COMMENTS SECTION AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE.

Ms. Meme was good and posted on the novel...she was drowned in a sea of TAL responses. So I'm reproducing her post here and hope you will all follow instructions and comment on it.

Note: this is public. You should make every effort to have your writing appear at its best.

"I am somewhat not so happy about the beginning of the book. I found it really hard to keep Charlotte and Lucy straight (I kept forgettig who was talking). I found it really strange that Charlotte seemed so much more stuck up than Lucy, but she is actually poor. I think her behavior might be because she is older than Lucy, although I wish i knew how old both of them were, this would make the book make a little more sense. As of right now, I think that the room with a view is a representation of greatness and high social class: it is the desired room and most likely the more expensive room. It gives the person looking at the view a sense of greatness, as they have the whole world to look at at their will, its sort of as if it is under their control. For now thats all i have. Maybe the rest of the chapter will reveal more. Farewell for now. COMMENT!! meme mascote (sho'leh)"

2 Comments:

At 8:49 AM, Blogger Ms. Clapp said...

You bring up some interesting points. Because Lucy's mother is paying Charlotte's expense, I've assumed that Charlotte is acting in the role of chaperone, making her considerably older than Lucy. I'm interested in your characterization of Charlotte as stuck up and how that connects to money. Do you think they are linked? What makes someone stuck up? And you yourself didn't say what you associated with the idea of a room with a view...

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger Ms. Clapp said...

Some nicely perceptive comments...I'm intrigued by the association with the "room with a view" with status...although it does take on an additional meaning later on, it makes me think (in a way I haven't before) that, while Forster is going against convention of the time, it's not for everyone - it's only people of a certain class who even get to choose which kind of "room" they get...and Mrs. J. Darcy brings up an excellent question about England vs. Italy - yes, I think you should be able to tell the difference, but part of Forster's point is, at least at this pension (essentially a hotel with meals included), you can't. And this is something I still see today...tourists go places and want it to be exactly like home...that's how McDonald's became a world phenonmenon! Forster is amused at watching English people take England with them.
So nobody's commented on this: Why does George Emerson have a giant question mark on the wall?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home